Sunday, November 3, 2013

Course work and research: The academic side of study abroad

As the last month of my time abroad begins it is bitter sweet. Over the past few months I have developed a life here and feel as if everything is just falling into place yet it is almost time to return home and I am looking forward to seeing family and friends.

The past couple of weeks, I have been extremely busy with classes (papers, presentations, midterm examinations, reading). In addition, I finally got approval to do independent research, and I signed up for a course in Basic Virology Lab Techniques. I feel as if each of these opportunities will provide me with the type of academic experience I was hoping to have and will be beneficial to my future goals. I am very excited about the work I am involved with in and out of the classroom!

My independent research is on the treatment seeking decisions of people in this region. We are focusing on the common alternative/ complementary therapies widely practiced in India including: Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddah, and Homeopathy (AYUSH). We will be conducting a qualitative study in the communities surrounding Manipal by interviewing individuals of known treatment regime in order to gain a better understanding of why they chose said system.

I have also started to do research for my final paper in my Contemporary Indian Culture Class for which I will be focusing on Sexuality in India in particular homosexuality among men. I have found some very interesting articles that discuss the theories on varying acceptance of homosexuality in different countries. I chose to do my final research paper on this topic because it is one area of society that is taboo and unapproachable yet is extremely apparent in everyday life. Unlike in the United States, it is common for men to share physical exchanges such as hand holding or close contact yet scandalous for a man and a woman to do the same. I am interested in learning about the historical context in which these social norms evolved and how they have changed with globalization and changes in religion. There is so much that is involved in this topic and I am looking forward to slowly peeling back the many layers to explore the problems and theories at the root of the issue.

If anyone is looking for a good book to read I highly suggest "Em and the Big Hoom". Em and the Big Hoom takes place in the urban city of Bombay (Mumbi) and addresses many of the taboo issues in a very unique way. If you have never read an Indian novel it might be beneficial to start with Karukku, a memoir by a Dalit woman, in order to get a better understanding of rural life. Both memoirs are easy reads and provide great insight into the lives of people on the ground. Of course, it is important to read with the understanding that it is just one persons experience and point of view and can not be accepted as the "norm". I would love to have a literary discussion with anyone who reads either book when I return.

I hope that everyone is keeping well and enjoying the crisp days of fall!
~Tata 

No comments:

Post a Comment